Current Open Positions
Read more about the position and apply by clicking the link below.
Civil Engineer III, Puget Sound Energy | Apply Now
Puget Sound Energy is looking to grow our community with like-minded, top talented individuals like you! With our rapidly growing, award winning energy efficiency programs, our pathway to an exciting and innovative future is now.
PSE's Engineering Operations team is looking for qualified candidates to fill an open Civil Engineer III position!
Puget Sound Energy’s Substation Design and Engineering department is looking for a Civil Engineer III to join our team!
The Engineer shall possess a broad range of experience, expertise and/or understanding of civil and structural engineering topics especially related to substation design and construction. Solutions typically provided by the engineer may involve complex issues, requiring interpretation of requirements, application of advanced analytical techniques and non-standard solutions. Candidate should have the flexibility to deal with shifting budgets and priorities; the ability and resiliency to adapt to changes; and a personality that promotes optimism and synergy.
This position requires considerable experience with developing civil permit and construction drawings for land development associated with new and existing substations. Experienced at grading plans, storm drainage, erosion control and other civil related elements required. Working understanding of state and local storm water regulations, building codes and industry standards is essential. The successful candidate should demonstrate they are well experienced in civil related calculations, reports, technical specifications and cost estimates; and supporting the permitting and construction phases of projects. The ability to communicate effectively, clearly and concisely, both verbally and written to diverse audiences in most setting is desirable. Basic understanding of electrical substation assembly and safe design practices is a plus.
- Interprets and/or modifies available guidelines for application to existing problems or processes.
- Prepares complex designs, standards, studies and analyses.
- Provides a detailed design review of internal or external technical documents.
- Prepares cost estimates and project evaluations without direct supervision.
- Plans and develops project budgets with appropriate documentation.
- Ensures compliance with codes, standards, and design, operation, and maintenance requirements.
- Identifies potential areas of weakness with assigned work, and initiate corrective action.
- Documents and shares work with others to strengthen the depth and breadth of skills within PSE’s engineering workforce.
- Ensures that problem solutions are tailored to PSE’s business environment.
- May lead or coordinate the work of junior engineers, engineering assistants, field technicians, and others who assist on specific projects. (This includes contractor/consultants.)
- Provide training, technical direction, and leadership to other engineering positions in order to promote development.
- Supports emergency response work as requested including immediate and extended restoration efforts driven by weather and other system failures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or other appropriate engineering field.
- Substantial experience in planning, design, permitting, specification preparation, maintenance, project cost estimating and scheduling (typically achieved after 5 years’ practice as a degreed engineer).
- Demonstrated organization, documentation, prioritization, and project management skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience working in the utility industry.
- Possession of or ability to acquire a Washington State Professional Engineering license.
- Knowledge of engineering economics and analysis.
- Experience working on complex engineering projects.
Families and businesses depend on PSE to provide the energy they need to pursue their dreams. Our steadfast commitment to serving Washington communities with safe, dependable and efficient energy started in 1873. Today we're building the Northwest's energy future through efforts like our award winning energy efficiency programs and our leadership in renewable energy.
At PSE we value and respect our employees and provide them opportunities to excel. We offer an expansive pay package that includes competitive compensation, annual goals-based incentive bonuses, comprehensive benefits, 401(K), a company paid retirement pension plan, and an employee assistance and wellness program.
Puget Sound Energy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status or presence of a disability that with or without reasonable accommodation does not prevent performance of the essential functions of the job. Should you have a disability that requires assistance and/or reasonable accommodation with the job application process, please contact the Human Resources Staffing department at email@example.com or 425-462-3017.