The Vermont Section of ASCE was originally founded as a Branch of the Maine Section of ASCE in 1955. Then in 1960, the Vermont Section of ASCE was founded. The section has about 350 members who reside throughout the entire state of Vermont from Burlington to Brattleboro. The Vermont Section of ASCE supports the the Civil Engineering Profession and the Societies Mission through:
- Monthly meetings with Project related discussions about Vermont Civil Engineering Projects
- Annual technical seminar
- Attendance and support of ASCE regional and national conferences
- Provide section members information about hot topics within the profession through the Section Informant newsletter
- Promote the profession to the public through special projects (e.g. SPAG, Community Service Projects etc.
American Society of Civil Engineers
Founded in 1852, the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) represents more than 140,000 members of the civil engineering profession worldwide and is America’s oldest national engineering society. The society’s mission is to provide essential value to our members and partners, advance civil engineering, and serve the public good. In carrying out that mission, ASCE strives to:
- Advance technology
- Encourage lifelong learning
- Promote professionalism and the profession
- Develop civil engineer leaders
- Advocate infrastructure and environmental stewardship
About civil engineering
According to the ASCE Board of Direction in 1961, the following is the definition of “civil engineering.”
Civil engineering is the profession in which a knowledge of the mathematical and physical sciences gained by study, experience, and practice is applied with judgment to develop ways to utilize, economically, the materials and forces of nature for the progressive well-being of humanity in creating, improving and protecting the environment, in providing facilities for community living, industry and transportation, and in providing structures for the use of humanity.
Civil Engineering is a very broad profession with many disciplines, a few of the disciplines are listed below.
- Environmental Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Transportation Engineering