Excellence in Journalism Award
Superior reporting that enhances public understanding of civil engineering issues in Wisconsin and the impact of civil engineers on this state is recognized annually by awarding the “Excellence in Journalism Award.” This award is given annually to an author or co-authors of a news story worthy of recognition. The awardee(s) will be invited to attend the Annual Meeting including the banquet to receive the award.
The news stories must:
- Cover all sides of the civil engineering issues fairly
- Accurately describe the engineering project or issue
- Advance public knowledge and understanding of civil engineering in Wisconsin
- Effectively explain how the outcome of an issue benefits the community or the state
- Clearly describe the civil engineer’s role
- Include professionals knowledgeable of civil engineering
Articles from general (non-trade) print and website media are eligible. However, TV, motion picture, books, photojournalism, and similar journalistic activities may also be considered (these journalistic activities are, however, not eligible for the Society competition). Stories must appear between March 31 of the current year and April 1 of the previous year. Stories must appear in English and have a Wisconsin context or connection. Single stories or series are eligible. A series counts as a single entry.
To submit a nomination, complete the Nomination form for Excellence in Journalism Award and submit via email to the Section Secretary by June 1.