15th Annual Achievement in Civil Engineering Awards
May 26, 2022 at the Aqua Turf Club in Plantsville, CT
Application deadline extended to April 15, 2022
Project Nominations - 2022 Nomination Form
The Connecticut Society of Civil Engineers (CSCE) Section of the American Society of Civil Engineers aims to enhance the professional growth of its individual members, the advancement of engineering knowledge, the maintenance of high professional standards, to promote Civil Engineering education, to foster student membership and participation and cooperation with other engineering societies, in a manner consistent with the objectives of ASCE.
CSCE is honoring the design and construction achievements of Connecticut Civil Engineers. These Achievement in Civil Engineering Awards or “ACE" Awards will commend projects on which significant engineering expertise or innovation was exhibited by Connecticut Engineers and especially CSCE members. The ACE Awards will distinguish the projects, and thereby honor the overall contributions of numerous engineers and other team members.
To be eligible, a project must have been planned, designed, or constructed substantially between January 1, 2021, and December 31, 2021, in Connecticut. Preference will be given to projects physically located in Connecticut. Completed ACE Awards Applications should include a Cover Sheet and related attachments (see following pages). CSCE encourages firms that functioned as sub-consultants to submit individually or partner with the prime engineering firms to submit an application.
Individual Award Nominations - 2022 Nomination Form
The CSCE Board is now accepting nominations for the following individual awards that will be presented at the Annual ACE Awards Dinner in September. These awards will recognize ASCE/CSCE members for their outstanding contributions to the Civil Engineering profession. Anyone can nominate a CSCE member who best exemplifies the Civil Engineering profession. The nominees must work and/or reside within the State of Connecticut.
Selection: Selection shall be based on the following criteria:
- Education and Professional qualifications;
- Projects completed;
- Patents; Publications; Presentations; Teaching
- Professional involvement including society affiliations and leadership roles;
- Professional reputation; and
- Outstanding contributions to the profession.
- Civil Engineer of the Year (Private and/or Public). Nominees must be an ASCE member, a Professional Engineer practicing for at least ten (10) years in Connecticut and have demonstrated innovation and significant contributions in advancing the Civil Engineering profession.
- Young Civil Engineer of the Year (Private and/or Public). Nominees must be an ASCE member, a Professional Engineer, and 35 years of age or younger by July 31, 2022.
- Civil Engineering Educator of the Year. This award is presented to an outstanding educator who has demonstrated excellence and innovation in effective teaching and learning; contributed substantially in educating future engineers; and/or has advanced research topics in the field of Civil Engineering. The educator must be a faculty member at an educational institution in Connecticut.
- Benjamin Wright Award — Nominee must be a civil engineer in Connecticut who has demonstrated outstanding practice throughout their career, and made significant contributions to Civil Engineering.
ASCE Connecticut Section Employer of the Year Award - 2022 Nomination Form
This award will recognize a Connecticut-based Civil Engineering firm that has shown support for CSCE and encourages employee participation in CSCE events and initiatives. Employers should have demonstrated a commitment to regularly support CSCE activities through sponsorship, attendance and service during the calendar year. Nominations should include a narrative of the firm's support for CSCE including employees' participation on CSCE executive board and committees, as well as ASCE regional and national activities.
Benjamin Wright Award
The Benjamin Wright Award is given annually by the Connecticut Society of Civil Engineers Section to a Connecticut Civil Engineer who has demonstrated outstanding practice throughout his or her career, and made significant contributions to Civil Engineering. CSCE was proud to present the 2020 Benjamin Wright Award to Rabih Barakat, P.E.
1980 Edward Gant
1981 Charles Cahn
1982 Clarence Dunham
1983 Arthur Sweeton
1984 Norman Nadel
1985 Victor Scottron
1986 Morton Fine
1987 Wilbur Widmer
1988 Philip Burton
1989 Jack Stephens
1990 Philip Keene
1991 E. Russell Johnston
1992 Frank J. Zamecnik
1993 Herbert S. Levinson
1994 Morris Schupack
1995 Charles H. Thornton
1996 Earl R. Howard
1997 Eugene D. Jones
1998 Charles Rejcha
1999 Robert O. Disque
2000 John Lenard
2001 Remy Papp
2002 Kenneth Gibble
2003 Roald Haestad
2004 Paul Carver
2005 Roger S. Chapman
2006 Stanley Bemben
2007 Howard L. Epstein
2008 John P. Dugan
2009 William D. O'Neill
2010 Clarence Welti
2011 George Torello
2015 James Byrnes
2016 Lawrence Johnsen
2017 Peter Heynen
2018 Randall States
2019 David Jacobs
2020 Rabih Barakat
2022 Mark Rolfe