020924 Structural Engineering Student Conference at UNH
Structural Engineering Student Conference at the University of New Haven
As our industry continues to experience exponential growth and employers are increasingly seeking top talent across our state, our chapter is excited to announce the organization of a highly anticipated conference targeted at students aspiring to specialize in structural engineering. We are thrilled to present a recruitment event tailored to students interested in the field of structural engineering. The key objectives of this event include:
- Enhancing students' understanding of the crucial role structural engineers play in shaping and improving our everyday lives.
- Showcasing the diverse range of roles and career paths available within the field of structural engineering.
- Providing students with a glimpse into a typical day in the life of a structural engineer, highlighting the different domains and applications within the industry.
- Creating networking opportunities for students to engage with professionals and recruiters, allowing them to forge meaningful connections and explore potential internship or job opportunities.
As part of this event, we encourage students to bring their resumes in order to maximize their chances of making valuable connections and opening doors to future career prospects.
Format for SEI Student Conference
The SEI-CT Chapter plans to invite undergraduate and graduate students who are studying structural engineering at the higher educational institutions in Connecticut. We propose to have this event at the University of New Haven on Friday, February 9, 2024. The event will kick off with general introductions providing an overview of the diverse areas of specialization within the field of structural engineering. This overview will include company highlights, which will allow companies 2-3 minutes to introduce themselves. Following these introductions, students will have the opportunity to participate in breakout sessions.
There will be 3 breakout rooms with companies/universities that specialize in infrastructure, buildings and inspection/rehabilitation and research. Companies can choose a breakout room of their choice based on their area of expertise and may choose multiple breakout rooms based on the services they offer.
Benefits to Companies:
As a participating company, you can expect several valuable advantages from this recruitment event:
- Interaction with Future Structural Engineers: This event provides a unique platform for you to engage and connect with aspiring structural engineers from across the state who are eager to enter the profession. It offers an opportunity to share your industry insights, experiences, and advice, while also building relationships with potential future employees.
- Advertisement of Your Company and Positions: The event offers a fantastic chance to showcase your company's brand and the available job positions to a targeted audience of talented students. You can raise awareness of your organization, its mission, and the opportunities it offers, which can attract prospective candidates who align with your company values and objectives.
- Contributing to the Progression of the Profession: By participating in this event, you actively contribute to the advancement of the structural engineering profession in our state. Your involvement helps cultivate a strong network of knowledgeable professionals, fosters collaboration between academia and industry, and promotes the growth and development of structural engineering in our region.
It is important to note that this recruitment event is FREE for participating companies and students, making it both an accessible and effective platform to engage with top-tier students and advance your company’s recruitment efforts in the field of structural engineering.
For more information about this conference, please contact Amy Petrone at [email protected] or 860-879-2723 or Byungik Chang, Ph.D., P.E., MBA, M.ASCE Professor and Chair of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at UNH at [email protected] or 203-479-4234.
Below is a tentative schedule of the event:
3:00-3:30 p.m. Registration and Networking
3:30-3:50 p.m. Welcome & Conference Introduction
4:00-5:20 p.m. Breakout Room Session 1
5:25-6:45 p.m. Breakout Room Session 2
Bergami Center for Science, Technology, and Innovation, University of New Haven, West Haven, CT